The core rules have been agreed by the school community and these rules
form the basis for classroom and playground rules.
Do as you are asked the first time.
Keep hands, feet, other objects and unkind words to yourself.
Take care of all property.
Always get permission from your teacher before leaving the
classroom or school premises.
The following rules are formulated for the safe and efficient running of
the school and all pupils are expected to obey them.
5. Children may not remain in classrooms during intervals
6. Once children arrive in the school playground they are under
the jurisdiction of the school and must not, therefore, leave the
grounds without permission from a teacher.
7. Glass bottles, sweets (and chewing gum) are discouraged in
school. Instead, pupils are encouraged to bring fruit or crisps as a
snack for morning break. Juice and fruit drinks are unnecessary at
morning break as fresh water is readily available.
8. Juice and fruit drinks should only be consumed in the dining
hall at lunch time.
PLAYGROUND - OUT OF BOUNDS
1. Between the barrier and chain - i.e. car parking area.
2. Beyond the white lines
3. Shrubs and bushes.
4. Climbing on or over walls; sliding on railings.
5. Electricity sub-station.
We encourage our pupils to have a pride in their school and take care of
their environment. Therefore all litter should be put in bins
provided. Our thanks to local businesses who have sponsored a
When parents and children are entering or leaving school they are
expected to use the footpath entrance, not the vehicle entrance, and
cross the road with the School Crossing Patrol.
For the safety of your child, if you are collecting him from school at
the end of the day, please ensure that you are at the school gate on
time. In the case of an emergency and you cannot be there, please ring
Cars are not allowed to stop on the yellow lines and parents are
requested to park on
the road beyond the crossing area when dropping off or picking up
Car parking in the school is very limited and is for staff / visitor use
ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS
ENTRY TO SCHOOL
• PARENTS are informed through the School Handbook that pupils should
not be in the playground until the Playground Supervisor is on duty,
• PUPILS will be told by the Supervisor to keep under shelter until
• THE PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR will decide if prompt entry is necessary.
• THE PLAYGROUND SUPERVISOR will inform the School Assistant of her
decision and will signal the children to enter in small groups.
• THE SCHOOL ASSISTANT will open the doors and ensure quiet,
In the event of severe weather conditions resulting in the closure of
the school during the school day, we will contact parents or the
emergency contact you have nominated. Radio Borders will also be
informed. Please note we will not send children home unless we know
someone will be there to receive them.
As a school and, in line with the Behaviour and Discipline
Policy, we recognise that our children have a part to play in the
organisation of school life and are, therefore, encouraged to be
responsible members of our school community.
• Children should be made aware that they are trusted to ensure
that entry to school is undertaken in a controlled, responsible manner.